Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Kari Ann Tilson

Hello to everyone - My name is Kari Ann Tilson. I'm currently pursuing a Masters in Educational Leadership & Policy and am a Graduate Assistant for Leadership Training for PSU's Student Activities & Leadership Programs.

Training and development has always been the focus of my career. I've worked in both higher education (Baylor University Career Services, Academy of Art Advising, and now Portland State University Student Activities) as well as corporate HR (Celanese Chemicals, Ernst & Young LLP, and Lucy Activewear) focusing on developing training in each role.

Initially, advising online students at Academy of Art sparked my curiosity in e-learning. Then later I developed online new hire training for Academy of Art which furthered my interest. In my current role, I will be creating a series of leadership trainings (both online and classroom) for PSU's student leaders. I would like to come away from this course with a feel for which topics are more/best suited for e-learning formats for the wide breadth of topics student leadership training will cover. As e-learning is increasingly prevalent, I want to stand out as someone with expertise in engaging students in a variety of contexts and formats. I am also interested in learning more about the function of e-learning in the context of globalization.

On a more personal note, my husband and I moved to Portland two years ago. I'm originally from Florida and Texas but prior to Portland we lived in New York City. In my free time I enjoy water and snow skiing, running, music, and travel.

No comments: