Monday, September 27, 2010

Drew Hinds



My name is Drew Hinds. Professionally, I have developed and taught online courses and worked at the district office in a small and large school district in Oregon. I am a licensed teacher and administrator in Oregon and currently working at the Oregon Department of Education (ODE) with Alternative Education and Instructional Materials Adoption. I am also a doctoral student at PSU focusing in the area of evaluation of alternative education options.

Personally, I am married with two children and live in Salem, Oregon. My son began second grade this year in a Spanish dual language immersion program and my daughter began kindergarten in the same program. When I am not writing, reading or working, I am coaching my children’s teams in swimming (summer), soccer (fall), basketball (winter) and baseball (spring).

Why did I choose to take this course?
While I have done work in the area of online course development and teaching and taken online classes, I realize that online programs and providers are quickly evolving to meet the individual needs of learners. My day-to-day work at the Department does not always allow me to keep ahead of the curve regarding new and developing strategies of creating interesting and relevant interventions for students as they achieve. I look forward to an exposure to the literature and research supporting online learning and a chance to dialogue with Oregon colleagues on such topics.

No comments: